LinkedIn was launched in 2002 and 14 years on people are still struggling to utilise the social media tool to its full potential. Here are 5 useful tips which will help you increases your presence on LinkedIn.
1. Profile picture – Leave the holiday selfies and night out shots to your personal Facebook and Twitter accounts. Your LinkedIn profile should be a respectable headshot which reflects how you want prospective clients to see you. You should be recognisable in the photo and recent.
2. Your headline – this is how you can grab people’s attention so just stating your job title doesn’t utilise this space. Keep it short, snappy and specific. Tell people what it is you can do for them.
3. Your summary – this part can be a little more personable. Explain briefly what it is you do and what kind of people you want to connect with. People don’t want to read all about your past and experiences here, they want to know what it is you can do for them.
4. Get recommendations – It is common knowledge in business that one of the best way to get business is through referrals so don’t be shy to ask your customers for recommendations on your page. If you tell a potential customer you are great they might believe you but if an existing customers tells them how much you have helped their business they are even more likely to believe them.
5. Have evidence – You have managed to get people interested in your page. Now keep them there. Provide evidence of your success. Upload useful information onto your page. This can be documents and videos that include free info, tips booklets, advice and testimonials.
The last thing we would like to say on LinkedIn is don’t be afraid of it. Embrace it and start posting and connecting with people. It is there to be used in business so make the most of this free sales tool.